I'm Mid and that's OK.

The basics, and the off topic, the generic and the uncategorized.
If you're unsure, post it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Knight Errant Third Loop Knight Errant
Knight Errant

Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:31 pm

I'm Mid and that's OK.

Woke up from a dream about my time in cadets, something about polishing boots. It got me thinking about cadets then about life in general now sleep evades me and I am doing some sort of life evaluation. I decided to write my thoughts down in an attempt to quiet my mind. I thought I would share my insights with you, the small audience, who reads this site.

I joined cadets in preparation for a military career. I advanced at a normal rate until I got to the rank of Flight-Sergeant, then I stopped advancing. The normal process is to do your duties in the Sergeant rank then take on more responsibilities and advance to a Warrant-Officer position but despite my many years in cadets I never advanced.

As I considered this fact I looked at my life in general. I could make many excuses for my non-advancement but as I noticed this pattern throughout my life it came down to the simple fact that I am not ambitious. While I am sure I possess the gifts and talents to be “successful” and over-achieve, I have never had a desire to stand out, or advance beyond a worker-bee position.

This pattern has manifested itself though-out my life. I am to soon retire from a career and while I watched my peers take on responsibilities and advance into management positions, I will retire without having advanced into management. I do have talents in math and science and was able to enter a gifted program in school, but even then I disappeared into the middle of the pack.

For a long time I considered this lack of ambition, and shunning of responsibilities as a character flaw, but tonight as I looked back over my life I am contented with my choices. The lack of ambition is not a flaw it's just character. Society tries to instill this drive into us to be successful and aspire to greatness. But not everybody gets to be the general, there are many people who are just normal and do the day-to-day tasks that keep society running.

I may have regrets about life but that's true for most people, but if I take an honest assessment of my life I will retire with a comfortable life, and will want for very little in my twilight years. My health is relatively good, my life has had little stress since a bump in the road while young. I am MIDdle-class. I am MID looking. I have a MID life and tonight I realized that that did not make me a “nobody”, it made me “everybody”.
- Brian
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

Third Loop wrote: Mon Sep 08, 2025 4:49 am I'm Mid and that's OK.
tonight as I looked back over my life I am contented with my choices.

many people who are just normal and do the day-to-day tasks that keep society running.

if I take an honest assessment of my life I will retire with a comfortable life, and will want for very little in my twilight years. My health is relatively good, my life has had little stress since a bump in the road while young.

I have a MID life and tonight I realized that that did not make me a “nobody”, it made me “everybody”.
I don't think that makes you "mid" - which btw is often used as a criticism or to judge negatively, not just as "average" - I believe this all accurately describes you won, in a life well lived, on your own terms. Nobody? Everybody?

Definitely, uniquely, you. Your way. As it should be.
Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
User avatar
Knight Errant Third Loop Knight Errant
Knight Errant

Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:31 pm

Týsköll wrote: Mon Sep 15, 2025 5:12 am

I don't think that makes you "mid" - which btw is often used as a criticism or to judge negatively, not just as "average" - I believe this all accurately describes you won, in a life well lived, on your own terms. Nobody? Everybody?

Definitely, uniquely, you. Your way. As it should be.
Maybe I misunderstood the whipper-snapper lingo.
I meant I'm average. I think I did well, thanks for saying so.

Nobody is someone who doesn't stand out and I realized that's most people (everybody).
- Brian
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

Third Loop wrote: Mon Sep 15, 2025 10:36 am
Týsköll wrote: Mon Sep 15, 2025 5:12 am

I don't think that makes you "mid" - which btw is often used as a criticism or to judge negatively, not just as "average" - I believe this all accurately describes you won, in a life well lived, on your own terms. Nobody? Everybody?

Definitely, uniquely, you. Your way. As it should be.
Maybe I misunderstood the whipper-snapper lingo.
I meant I'm average. I think I did well, thanks for saying so.

Nobody is someone who doesn't stand out and I realized that's most people (everybody).
Or I have :D
From the sounds, I agree, you've done well.
Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
Post Reply