and not speaking about time, Perdurantism, or, "Four Dimensionalism":
I realized I'd never plucked this part of a different thread and made it in to it's own where it belongs, so here I do so.Perdurantism is also referred to as "four-dimensionalism" (by Ted Sider, in particular), but perdurantism also applies if one believes there are temporal but non-spatial abstract entities (like immaterial souls or universals of the sort accepted by David Malet Armstrong).
Here's a link for frame of reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perdurantism
Here's some points to help define 4D in this context.
- 2D: Only length and width are considered, like a drawing on paper.
- 3D: Includes length, width, and depth, allowing for the representation of solid objects.
- 4D: Incorporates the three spatial dimensions (length, width, height) along with time as a fourth dimension.
- In physics, time is often considered the "fourth dimension".
- Visualizing 4D objects can be challenging as it requires imagining movement through time alongside spatial changes.
- When talking about "4D" in computer graphics or design, it usually refers to animation where a 3D object is shown changing over time.
Deja vu as temporal echoes using this concept seems potentially valid.Týsköll wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 4:27 amWhilst I feel I subscribe mainly to a perdurantism belief, I have previously expanded on and merged these concepts to include a form of exdurantism where each "stage" is of lesser or greater importance (visualized as smaller or larger) on the time worm of an object, lesser or greater "echoes" and "vacuums" in temporal space.Týsköll wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:58 pmBranches, crossroads, fork in the road, nodes, knots in the tapestry, etc. can be viewed as a "keyframe" as perTýsköll wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:49 am
You could visualize a 4D by having a 3D Object1 in "start" position and rotation, and a second Object2 in "end" position/rotation (with some values changed from start position). Then between them both (across a time scale) an Object3 that has vertices connecting to both Object1 and Object2.
This would be a representation of the "time worm".
4D Theories
Here's a quick 2D representation that might be sufficient.
Assuming of course you like the worm, opposed to stages, which might be represented by a series showing each phase of change as it's own unique state (frames), like:
oooooooooooo
instead of
o==========O
(worm)
Does life have KeyFrames?
Time worm theory with overlaid/simultaneous stage theory where impacts on and from your own consciousness could be viewed as a major or minor keyframes.
Whilst the below is a single linear path, please imagine each . o O as a 'keyframe' that would each be a defining moment, or fork, etc. The larger the node in the representation the more major an event and (just coz reasons); potentially, larger 'echo' in time itself.
.--.-o--O-.-o---O---o----
The poster I replied to considered that this means everything we do is pre-written, a scripted event waiting for us to reach one or another choice.
This begins to look at the related topic of fate within a tapestry, or as I've described before for this purpose: a flowing river.
In the analogy of the river we can choose to go with the flow, affecting our path very little, swim left, right, accelerate, try to tread water or dive beneath. We always go with the river or, "Big Fate" but we have free will within its defined bounds and laws, or, "Small Fate".
A discussion for another post is the concept of absorbing the sun's rays, evaporating to a mist and walking on the surface, free from it's flow but now part of the above ground water cycle, to become cloud and eventually descend once more to flow through life with our new "small fate" to choose.
In pondering upon this a little further, I wondered regarding the importance we give to our own life events and whether or not we retroactively or even in advance of increase or decrease the import of an occurrence, and thus changing ourselves.
I think we can definitely heavily define and base ourselves on a past event or what we see ourselves becoming. Such as where we might have been a victim, in an accident, gained an achievement, or even what we aspire to be.
We sometimes see people instructing others to not focus on the past, or that they need to look to the future. I think this relates and can be interpreted along these lines I've mentioned here.
So, to the point of the post:
The idea of a negative event in our past being so important to us that in our own selves, despite what others think or see, defines us for the foreseeable future, even overwhelmingly against all other events and observations(or lack of).
Whereas the opposite direction may also be true, an event yet to occur that we've placed so much importance on that there is a huge vacuum of space awaiting us that can never be filled by anything but this event. Such an even that may be unachievable might always shift in advance of us.
Can and do we affect change on our being by increasing or decreasing importance events(stages) in our existence(time worm of us)?
I think yes.
Do we do this to other people? I also think yes, but this begins delving in to other areas.
For a quick visual reference to aid in wtf I am talking about, see the below line with lesser or greater thickness of the circle as events with lesser or greater importance on a time worm.
Especially the strong or premonition type stuff, an event that matters enough to someone "echoes in eternity", but sometimes we pick it up in advance of the event.

 