Nerthus/Njordr

A hall dedicated to the discussion and practice of all things occult and paranormal.
Post Reply
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

In Germanic paganism, Nerthus is a goddess associated with a ceremonial wagon procession.

Tacitus describes the wagon procession in some detail: Nerthus's cart is found on an unspecified island in the "ocean", where it is kept in a sacred grove and draped in white cloth. Only a priest may touch it. When the priest detects Nerthus's presence by the cart, the cart is drawn by heifers. Nerthus's cart is met with celebration and peacetime everywhere it goes, and during her procession no one goes to war and all iron objects are locked away. In time, after the goddess has had her fill of human company, the priest returns the cart to her "temple" and slaves ritually wash the goddess, her cart, and the cloth in a "secluded lake". According to Tacitus, the slaves are then immediately drowned in the lake.

The goddess name Nerthus (from Proto-Germanic *Nerþuz) is the early Germanic etymological precursor to the Old Norse deity name Njörðr, a male deity who is comparably associated with wagons and water in Norse mythology.

...scholars have compared to Tacitus's description of Nerthus's wagon procession, one of which (and potentially all of them) focus on Njörðr's son Freyr.

...potential etymological connections to the obscure female deity name Njörun, mention of the mysterious Sister-wife of Njörðr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerthus

"*Nerthuz is etymologically ambivalent, cognate not only with Old Irish nert 'strength' and Greek andro- but with Vedic sū-nrt́ā 'good vigor, vitality' (used especially for Uṣás, thus gender ambivalent)".[4] According to McKinnell, "The meaning of the name has usually been connected with Old Irish nert ‘strength’ (so ‘the powerful one’), but it might be related to Old English geneorð ‘contented’ and neorxnawang ‘paradise’ (literally ‘field of contentment’), or to the word ‘north’ (i.e. ‘deity of the northern people’, cf. Greek νέρτερος ‘belonging to the underworld’)."
Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

Minx wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:30 pm Nergal burgal.

The sin of the Norse was to think this world of structure dominated the skies, rather than vice versa.

I.e., Carnality.

I.e., Force.
1. You don't know what you're talking about, try reading on the topic; like the post that briefly talks about this deity that predates Christ by near 2k years.
2. If you're just going to shit up existing threads with your inane ranting and spam new ones with what seems like the sole purpose of topic dilution and poor content, I'll just ban you. We're under no obligation to entertain your crap, nor is it entertaining in itself.
Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

Minx wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:28 pm If you've an opinion, feel free to defend it with facts rather than force. Ad hominems are the mark of the weak and craven.
Actually that's the benefit of such features as 'block' and 'ban' where one can utilize them. You appear to be spamming up the forum with what appears to be intent to impose yourself on the place for whatever reason, which I consider 'fuckery' and far from classy.

So I'll just ban instead and be done with it instead of feeding... whatever this is. :)

Let's start with 7 days.
Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
User avatar
Knight Argenteus Caylus Ark Knight Argenteus
Knight Argenteus

Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:00 am

I will start putting energy into the forum again myself and perhaps that will discourage weird spam :|

things have been...over the top
I think they will begin to reach normal levels again
and then perhaps the community can go back to growing somewhat
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

Caylus Ark wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:05 pm I will start putting energy into the forum again myself and perhaps that will discourage weird spam :|

things have been...over the top
I think they will begin to reach normal levels again
and then perhaps the community can go back to growing somewhat
That'd be great. Don't feel obligated though, I need to remember to continue to cross post when I post elsewhere lol.

As for the spam, yeah well - spammers gonna spam, be it email or forums, they really should pull their heads in though.
Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
User avatar
Knight Marshall Týsköll Knight Marshall
Knight Marshall

Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:01 am

Is there an overlap with the idea of the Ark being radioactive here?

"Only a priest may touch it. When the priest detects Nerthus's presence by the cart, the cart is drawn by heifers."

"all iron objects are locked away. In time, after the goddess has had her fill of human company, the priest returns the cart to her "temple" and slaves ritually wash the goddess, her cart, and the cloth in a "secluded lake". According to Tacitus, the slaves are then immediately drowned in the lake. "

Only a priest may touch it. The priest 'detects' the presence.
The "cart" is washed down after it's tour (cooled?) and the slaves that do it are killed (after having been exposed?).
Iron absorbs some types of radiation. So it would make sense to lock it all away, lest it become contaminated and potentially kill populations.
What is an ark anyway? It's also a ship right?
Njordr and Nerthus being associated with travel and the ocean, or later Njord "relegated" to god of ships.

:ponder:
Come on, you should know. Of course I dare mock you.
Post Reply